After eating healthy and running all week, I decided to reward myself with my all-time favorite dish... CHINESE FOOD!
But, this time it was not my typical pick up the phone and order it type of Chinese food..This time, it was all done in my INSTANT POT! Boy am I sure glad I decided to take the (little) time that it actually took to prepare this homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken, because it did NOT disappoint.
In my mind, this was better than any Sweet & Sour Chicken that I could have ordered. Plus, I actually get to know what ingredients are in the food that I am eating!
In roughly 15-minutes I was able to satisfy my weekend craving and also satisfy the entire family...even my picky 4 year old LOVED this recipe. We hope you do, too.
Be sure to check out our new Instant Pot cookbook for 100 more Irresistible Recipes!
Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4-6 green onions, diced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 5 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups White Rice (I used Basmati)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
1) Add olive oil and butter to your pressure pot. Press "saute" mode to heat the pot.
2) In a separate bowl or plate, combine flour, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and cover thoroughly with your flour mixture.
3) Add chicken to pressure pot and continue to cook using "saute" mode until chicken is browned.
4) Turn off "saute" mode. Make sure to properly deglaze your pot in order to avoid the dreaded "BURN" message.
5) Next, add orange juice, chicken broth, soy sauce, ketchup, and brown-sugar to the pot. Give everything a good stir.
6) In a IP approved bowl, combine all ingredients for rice and cover with aluminum foil. Place bowl on elevated rack, right over the top of the chicken.
7) Set cooker to HIGH pressure and allow it to cook for 7-minutes. Allow for a 10-minute Natural Pressure release.
8) Open lid and remove rice-dish from the Instant Pot. Now, add turn back to "saute" mode and mix in cornstarch until your sauce thickens to desired preference.
9) Serve chicken over your white-rice and top with green onions! ENJOY!!
***Be sure to subscribe to our Email and FACEBOOK for more Irresistible recipes!!***